Community Forum

Point of failure

Forum Overview >> Farming Simulator 19

CategoryFarming Simulator 19
Created16.09.2021 14:51

Ed Propsner (crotchfrog) 16.09.2021 14:51
Does anyone know if there is a better way of identifying the point of failure in a map.i3d that suddenly starts crashing? It won't load in-game or in the Giants editor. I checked both the game log and the editor log and neither are indicating what is causing the failure. The last thing I was doing was re-organizing the scenegraph and putting related items into corresponding TGs when a windows update (I didn't know was running) decided to restart the computer. When everything re-started I could no longer load the map. The file has been corrupted somehow, but where? Unfortunately my last backup is much too old to be of use. Is there a better way of pinpointing exactly where the problem is occurring?

Ed Propsner (crotchfrog) 16.09.2021 20:21
Just another observation. From all outward appearances it seems as though the map might actually be loading, just not visually if that makes sense. When GE starts opening, the indicator on the bottom left shows "loading ..." and after a bit "READY." It's at this point it hangs for a few moments and the entire GE shuts down. Checking the GE log it looks like the map fully loaded. This is the only map giving me an issue, all others load fine. What are the chances that it doesn't like that I moved things around the scenegraph? And by that I mean is that my filetree was an unorganized mess and I tidied it up by moving things around into more organized TGs. I wouldn't think it would make a difference but something has definitely changed that neither GE or the game itself seems to like very much. It's times like these where I could kick myself for not being more on top of regular back ups.

Bilbo Beutlin (BBeutlin) 17.09.2021 13:38
Make sure, the FS/GE related files are on local drives exclusively. Web storage often causes errors.

You have re-arranged the TG tree. That often causes critical errors if external xml files are not updated to recent state of node descriptions.

Corrupt i3d files may occur when using illegal characters in labels or filenames, eg. spaces or foreign special chars. Be sure to use only "A-Z", "a-z", "1-0" and '_' (instead space).

Perhaps check the i3d for proper xml syntax, eg. with Notepad++ plugin "XML Tools".

Ed Propsner (crotchfrog) 17.09.2021 15:11
Thanks Bilbo!

I never use web storage so I'm safe there. I'm also a linux-head and I tend to stick with strict file naming conventions even in windows, force of habit I suppose ... so I'm good in that department as well. I noticed that when moving TGs there is a big difference between cut and paste vs drag & drop. I almost always run into an issue with cut/paste and drag/drop in my experience is always the safer bet, but that doesn't mean that something did not change with node descriptions. You may be on to something there because I haven't checked the XMLs or other dependencies ... I'll do that now. I always take it for granted that a syntax error or missing file dependency will throw an error of some sort, but I guess that's not always the case. I'll check the syntax as well because up to this point I've only done it visually.

Thanks again, I'll let you know what I find!

Ed Propsner (crotchfrog) 17.09.2021 23:04
So far I've been over the entire map.i3d and fixed any labels that broke naming conventions, as much as I like to think I'm strict about it, I still found a few. No illegal characters, just spaces instead of underscores or camelCase. They are now fixed. I checked the syntax on all files I thought were relevant and they are all fine. I've been through the XMLs and didn't see anything that needed updating. I even altered the default items and map.xml to keep placeables and additional files from loading. The problem still persists. I would think anything that could crash both FS and GE shouldn't be too difficult to pinpoint and at the very least would generate some sort of input into either one of the log files but they are both clean. I've been working on this map for over a year so needless to say there is a lot going on. I'm at a loss where to look next. I'll keep at it though because the map was nearly complete and I'm not ready to take that kind of loss.

Ed Propsner (crotchfrog) 18.09.2021 04:00
Making progress! Having been through everything and coming up completely dry I was no closer to narrowing anything down. I decided to remove the entire SG to see if that's really where the problem was and sure enough the map loaded. From there I put everything back and started removing one TG at a time. It turns out to be in a TG that holds the bulk of my placeables which makes sense. Looks like you were right all along Bilbo, one of the external XMLs for one (hopefully just one) of the placeables needs to be updated to reflect the new node descriptions. This should be fun, that TG is loaded with items!

Note: Log in to post. Create a new account here.